Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Friends, You Say





This is not written with anyone in mind I know or have ever known on blogger. This goes way back, to a people i knew in my youth only by way of twelve years of school, and a people that remember it far different than I do.






you say we are
were
and always have been.
I say,
how so?

when my heart bled
like fire
in the western sage
you gin rummied
to america's top twenty

when the moon fell
to earth
and i swallowed it whole
like strychnine
to silence my larynx
you were glad for the silence

I walked a blizzard to a frozen lake
to a child's knees i crashed
raising my arms to a silent God
while the bullets
blossomed my back.
did you see me? hear me?
as i lurched, and cried,
no more!
it is enough
were they your bullets?

you say we've known each other
forever
so says satan to God
and nation to nation
from well armed borders

yes, we've laughed
a time or two
you almost called me
-once

and my mother knew your father

perhaps even, they fucked
secretly in the pines
along the ditch bank

but if this makes us friends
and you my comfort
my understanding
has again fallen short

----------