Monday, May 16, 2011

Elusive





I like birds
love em, really
I love anything that can fly and does
but I can hold my hand out all day
and one will never lend itself to my affection

I'd love to pass a wolf on the trail
see his tail swish hello and have him
whisper to my heels
but he won't
he'll only suspect
and duck below the ridge

I wish I had a ticket on a West bound train
or the secret code granting me access
to a gypsy caravan
passage on a schooner
a shared bunk
in a filthy hostel in Belgium
and the key to the day
I once believed these things reachable

we love funny things
things made of smoke and clouds
things we can't have
things that flit and soar
duck and riddle
smile then frown

I don't love fruit loops in the morning
a sun on time
a moon walked on

maybe it's the elusiveness
the long shot
the riddle
that makes love so special

3 comments:

Ruth said...

I have not read past the first stanza. I will, but not yet.

It made me start to cry. I feel just. like. that. now.

Lil Coyote said...

Thank you Ruth for stopping by. My one n only reader! ha
maybe somethings just shouldn't be captured, caged, claimed as our own
maybe it's enough to feel their breeze as they pass by
LC

Anonymous said...

Carey and I were six hours north of home last weekend. On the way back a wolf crossed the Trans Canada about sixty feet in front of the car! Holy Shit, Big Dog! Damn. Thought of You. I like wolves and Coyotes, my mamma raised three of 'em. Hope the road is bein' good to you bro.