Saturday, July 23, 2011

This Hour










the rage is born in the east
roils across the atlantic
and like a jet engine
chock full of seagulls
the violence will only grow bloodier

in this, my finest hour
my northward gaze drifts
a wary eye to the storm

i smell the blood before i see it

the trees know, the hills too
and the fields rescind their dance
and play dead

i choose, here and now,
to not be engulfed
to just once, escape
the certain conflagration
that ignites the horizon
but i know better

so i turn to the peace of my hour
when the trees are yet alive
silhouetted against the flowered hills
and the fields full of life

the moon has gone
having done what it could
and the earth stutters in transition

i stutter too
in this last breath of peace
before the day catches fire

2 comments:

ShoeBox said...

Beautiful. I love morning. We used to send each other photos of the morning, the evening, the bookends of day...sandwich to the meat of day, the rotting riot that carnage sometimes is. I'm loving you in this peace of the hour...the positivity with which you see it. Stuttering. Choosing not be be engulfed.

"moon having done what it could..." Brilliant. Love it when you nail it. I'm printing this one.

Lil Coyote said...

yes SB, but more pre morning, the time when men finish their coffee and break the dawn with their evinrudes as loons come awake.
my best hour as my mind has not yet been polluted by my plans.
thank you
lc