Friday, August 5, 2011

A Lantern






when the moon rises
and the wheat praises
in holy alleluia.
when it clears the chimney,
passes through the warm smoke
and sails the winter pine,
i'll hang a lantern in my heart;
a beacon of remembrance
of the moment you were,
when yet, you still believed

then as it hangs, just there, on nothing,
i'll walk that wheat and feel the chaff,
climb that roof and twirl the smoke
in warm silken magic

and then limb after limb
i'll climb that pine
to let needles remind me
we were real once,
when nothing else was
when yet you still believed

4 comments:

ShoeBox said...

Funny how I don't think she needs a beacon. I imagine she finds her own way often enough to the meadow of memories, sees your outline atop the pines, nesting in everything you thought she forgot.

It was a beautiful moon last night. I wrote as I watched it come into it's own...the sun still shining, but the moon unimaginably high.

The man in the moon
half faced and stoic
moved in an arc around the tree
as if drawing a border
around the voluptuous foliage.

"What are you doing out so early?" murmured the sun as she incrimentaly lowered herself, though in no hurry to do so.

"I'm restless" said the moon out of the side of his mouth, which made it seem a secret his sunken eye implored her to keep.

"Ah."

"Ah? You disapprove?"

"No" replied the sun. "I merely watch you rise before your time."

Lil Coyote said...

that's a beautiful comment, shoe box. and how lovely to write beneath the light of moon.
the beacon wasn't to better show me, but to show there is magic in the heart
magic in the moon
magic in love
that's all
lil coyote

Ruth said...

Well this is all pretty magical. I'm so glad I found this lantern, still burning. And ShoeBox too . .

Lil Coyote said...

thank you Ruth
i think that lantern will always burn, even when i lose my breath.
it's good energy and you can't kill energy
Rick