Saturday, June 18, 2011

Broken Pieces






as i walk through this field of candy wildflowers
where once you laid your head,
i gather, but not in the tradition
of storybook religion
but rather, in the style of the gypsy

i scoop! grab! plunder!
six to a pocket, five to a head band
three behind my ear
while pieces of petal, broken wings
and splashes of pollen
jitterbug the bee's drunken tango

and this, all this-i carry
like a wren planning for twelve
running jag-legged and jester crazy
to high on a hillside
where the tallest tree
fans my withered remembrance

and it is from here, high on this crack jangle limb
i lift my tethered heart to a father wind
casting my broken pieces to random hope
before shaking myself innocent
of such petty larceny

then raising my eyes in a soft drawn curtain
i loll my head and laugh
that in this, i am still yet a child
holding to a tangled hope, that
just once, you'll pass by, notice these broken pieces
-smile
and know

3 comments:

Ruth said...

Oh Rick, it's so beautiful!!!!

wow

wow

wow

I'm smitten with these lines and images.

Lil Coyote said...

Thank you, Ruth,
actually it's sad tho
she never returns
-but the field prospers from scattered seed
rick

ShoeBox said...

"before shaking myself innocent
of such petty larceny"

Another perfect phrase. Tis a lovely pasture. Nothing better than wildflowers behind your ear. Oh the things they whisper. Let the bees land. They'll take sadness and drag it to another field with the hair of their little legs.